|REQUIRED USER ROLE
Set up Instagram Messaging (owned by Meta) to receive Instagram messages and Story replies in Gladly as Conversations.
Before you start #
Review the following information before you set up Instagram:
- Think about which Inbox to route messages to. You can create a new Inbox for Instagram Messaging or direct them to an existing Inbox.
- Set up Business Hours to trigger auto-replies based on your operating hours.
- Think about Topics Customers might ask through Instagram and use them to apply to Instagram Conversations.
- Note that an Agent “liking” a message (nor auto-replies triggered via Rules or Business Hours) are not considered a reply and will not satisfy the Conversation SLA.
Watch Out – We recommend not adding an Entry Point(s) until you’re ready to receive incoming requests
Upon adding a new Entry Point, incoming requests from that Entry Point automatically route to the corresponding Channel’s primary Inbox. For example, upon adding Instagram Messaging as an Entry Point, direct messages from your Instagram account will automatically create a Conversation in Instagram Channel’s default inbox.
- Voice/SMS – Phone numbers can be purchased and held onto until you’re ready to complete the setup by connecting them as Entry Points.
- Chat (Glad App) – Upon configuring Glad App, it’s available to receive incoming chat requests as soon as it’s embedded on your website. Chats are routed to the Chat Channel’s default Inbox.
- Social Channels – Upon adding a social Channel Entry Point (e.g., , Instagram, or WhatsApp), messages automatically route to the social Channel’s default Inbox.
- Email – Once an email address is added, it’s ready to receive inbound emails in the email Channels’ default Inbox as long as email forwarding is activated.
Use Exceptions to link an Entry Point to a different Inbox if you don’t want to use the Channel’s default Inbox.
Meta enforced guidance to keep in mind #
- Rate Limit on Messages – Meta imposes a rate limit of 200 messages per 5 minutes per account.
- Paid Campaigns – Due to the imposed rate limit by Meta, it’s not recommended to run organic paid campaigns to drive engagement and messaging through Instagram.
Note – Instagram imposed limitations
Below are the limitations that Instagram is currently imposing on all partners using the Instagram API:
- Reactions sent from the Instagram App will not appear in the Conversation Timeline in Gladly.
- All reactions are always mapped to . This is currently a limitation of the Meta API.
Note – Convert Story @mentions to Conversations
By default, Stories @mentioning your company won’t create a Conversation. If you’d like @mentions to also create Conversations in Gladly, contact Gladly Support. Keep in mind that @mentions can potentially create hundreds — if not thousands — of Conversations in Gladly.
Configure Instagram Business in Meta Business Suite #
Before adding Instagram to Gladly, you must first set up and configure your Instagram Business account. Follow the instructions in the links below.
- See Set Up a Business Account on Instagram to learn how to set up a Business account.
- Next, add your Instagram Business account to your Meta Business page.
- Allow access to your Instagram Messages. Log into your Instagram Business account through the mobile app. From the Profile view, tap the menu icon on the top right corner of the screen, then tap Settings > Privacy > Messages. From the Message Controls screen, under Connected Tools, toggle “Allow Access to Messages” so it’s activated. This lets you receive Instagram messages in Gladly from your Instagram Business account.
Once your Business account is connected to a Meta Business page and you allow access to all messages through the Instagram app, continue to add Instagram to Gladly.
Note – Avoid using additional automation with Instagram Messaging
While Gladly works well with other Business Integrations, for Facebook Business, Gladly should be the sole destination for all inbound messages.
- Gladly does not support the Handover Protocol, meaning Gladly will not relinquish control of the Conversation to a third party or field request to take control of messages from third parties.
- Use of other Facebook automation (e.g., Facebook bots, auto-replies) should be avoided. Please use Gladly Rules to create additional automation within Gladly.
How to deactivate automation and find out if you’re using them
- Go to https://business.facebook.com/
- Click on the button in the right-hand corner that looks like a planet.
- Click the toggle to deactivate any automation.
If your Facebook Business page is set up for 2FA, you must also set up your Facebook account for 2FA if you are the Administrator adding the integration into Gladly.
Add Instagram Messaging #
Note – Popup blockers
If you’re using browser popup blockers, turn it off temporarily to allow the Instagram login modal to appear.
- Click the menu icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Click Settings.
- Under the Channels category, click Instagram Messaging. The Instagram Messaging page will show you a list of Instagram accounts configured in Gladly. It also includes the following details:
- Page Name – Name of the Instagram account as shown on the Meta Business page.
- Username – The username associated with the Instagram Messaging account.
- Page ID – The Page ID associated with the Instagram Messaging account found on the Meta Business page.
- Added By – Name of the person who added the account in Gladly.
- Added On – Date and time the account was added in Gladly.
- Click Manage Instagram Messaging to add a new account.
- Enter the Meta Business credentials (email/phone, password) from the Meta login page, then click Log In. This is the Meta Business account your Instagram Business account is linked to.
- If it detects you’re already logged in, click Edit Settings, taking you to step 6.
- It’ll ask which Instagram Business account to use with Gladly. Click the checkbox next to the Instagram Business account you want to connect to Gladly, then click Next.
- It’ll ask which Pages you want to connect to Gladly. Click the checkbox next to the Business page where you connected your Instagram account.
- Note – If you also use Meta Messenger, DO NOT uncheck the prechecked box on this screen, as this will unlink your Meta Messenger account.
- Ensure all the toggles are showing Yes on the Permissions page, then click Done.
- In the Add Instagram Business Pages confirmation screen, click the box next to the Instagram account you’re linking to Gladly. Click Connect, then OK.
- The Instagram account is now added as a new Entry Point. Next, go to the Entry Points settings page and select the default Inbox for Instagram Messaging.
- Select the default Inbox you want Instagram messages to go to. Add an exception if you have other Instagram accounts you want to link to a different Inbox.
- Click Save.
- Instagram is added to your Messaging Channel. Agents assigned to the Inbox used for Instagram will receive new Instagram Messaging requests whenever available in the Messaging Channel.
See Respond to Messages from Instagram to learn how to help Customers through Instagram Messaging.
Check your firewall #
Story @mentions or messages are served directly from Meta and may not appear in Gladly if your firewall blocks Meta. To avoid this, we recommend allowing traffic from fbcdn.net in your firewall.